Balloon Sinuplasty is a safe and effective procedure used to treat chronic sinusitis and other chronic sinus conditions. The procedure is popular because it offers a less invasive alternative to traditional sinus surgery that involves the cutting and removal of bone and tissue from the nose.
What is Chronic Sinusitis?
The sinuses are an interconnected system of eight hollow cavities located around the forehead, cheekbones, eyes and nose. A sinus infection or sinusitis occurs when the sinuses are inflamed due to a viral, bacterial or fungal infection. Because inflammation of the sinuses causes the passageways which connect them to be enlarged and partially blocked, sinusitis causes mucus build up and any or any combination of the following symptoms:
- Pain and swelling around the eyes
- Post nasal drip
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
Patients who have sinusitis that lasts for more than eight weeks or have four or more sinus infections a year are said to have chronic or recurrent sinusitis. When non-surgical treatment options, such as anti-inflammatory and pain medications, antibiotics and nasal sprays prove to be ineffective in treating chronic sinusitis, a Balloon Sinuplasty procedure may be recommended.
How Does Balloon Sinuplasty Work?
A Balloon Sinuplasty is a same day surgical procedure performed under local anesthetic in the office of an ENT specialist. The goal of the procedure is to open and clear the sinus passageways. This goal is accomplished through the following surgical steps:
- Local anesthesia is administered so the patient remains comfortable throughout the procedure
- A soft, flexible guide wire is inserted into the nose and gently maneuvered into the sinus cavity
- A balloon is advanced over the guide wire
- The balloon is inflated
- Mucus and pus are flushed out of the sinuses using a fluid spray
Patients who undergo a Balloon Sinuplasty can look forward to the following benefits:
- A faster recovery. Work and normal activities are usually resumed two days after the procedure.
- Improved quality of life. Following the procedure, the life-altering symptoms of chronic sinusitis are drastically improved or eliminated.
- Long lasting results. Results typically last two years or more.
Learning More About Balloon Sinuplasty
The key to undergoing a successful Balloon Sinuplasty procedure is choosing the right ENT specialist. Dr. Neil Goldhaber is a Board Certified ENT specialist and is an expert in Balloon Sinuplasty. He has offices throughout Florida including Fort Myers, Wellington, Boynton Beach and and Ocala. If the symptoms of chronic sinusitis are dictating the way you live your life and you want a solution, Dr. Goldhaber will provide you with one. Please contact one of our four Florida offices today to make an appointment.